If you are looking to save money on your real food budget, check out this list of my favorite healthy buys at Costco. These foods are supportive to both your body, and your budget.
In a recent shopping trip to Costco, I was able to capture details of some of my favorite non-GMO and organic items. I shopped for my own groceries and took pictures on my phone as I browsed and perused each aisle, looking for good healthy buys to share with my “She’s So Natural” blog followers. I am passionate about eating wholesome, healthy, and non-toxic foods, so this was my labor of love to encourage you in how you can supplement some of your food purchases with Costco items that support your healthy eating goals.
It should go without saying that purchasing as many items as possible from a local farmer is the most ideal situation. This will bring you the freshest meats, dairy, and produce possible, and will help to support local agriculture in your area. However, I know this is not a possible for many people, so if you still purchase many of your foods from the grocery store, this post is for you!
If Whole Foods is breaking your whole food budget, consider investing $55 for a one year Costco membership!
I can guarantee that your membership will pay for itself quickly with savings on their fantastically priced organic, non-gmo, and conventional items. Costco inventory does vary from store to store, so some of these items I list may not be available at your location. You also may have some items that my store does not carry.
These are the Organic and non-GMO items I found at my local Costco….
Newly added and updated blog items are in green!
Oils & Butters:
- Kirkland Signature Organic Coconut Oil: Two 42 oz containers for $24.99. You can use this stuff for EVERYTHING!
- Pure Avocado Oil: One 33.8oz bottle for $9.99. I love this stuff! It is tasteless and has a high smoking point for frying.
- Organic Olive Oil: One 2 liter bottle for $15.99.
- Kirkland Signature Organic Peanut Butter: Two 28oz jars for $10.99. This is one that does separate and requires stirring.
- Natures Nate Raw Unfiltered Honey: One 44oz bottle for $14.79. Local honey is more ideal, but this is a good option.
- Kirkland Signature Organic Honey: Three 24oz bears for $13.69.
- Kirkland Signature Organic Maple Syrup: One 33.81oz container for $11.29.
- Kirkland Signature Organic Cane Sugar: One 10lb bag for $7.79.
- Wholesome Natural Raw Cane Turbinado Sugar: One 6lb bag for $6.89.
- Kirkland Signature Organic Strawberry Spread 42oz (2.63lbs) for $6.99.
- Boxed Organic Chicken Stock: Six quarts for $11.59. Homemade is better, but in a pinch this is great to have in your pantry.
- Better Than Bouillon Organic Beef Base: One 16oz jar for $6.29. Again, not my first choice, but I use it occasionally.
- Better Than Bouillon Organic Vegetable Base: One 16oz jar $6.29.
- Kirkland Organic Canned Tomato Sauce: Twelve 15oz cans for $7.99.
- Kirkland Organic Canned Diced Tomatoes: Eight, 14.5 oz cans for $5.99.
- Kirkland Organic Canned Tomato Paste: Twelve 6oz cans for $$6.69.
- Premium Organic Paesana Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce: Two, 25oz jars for $6.99.
- Pacific Organic Red Pepper/Tomato Soup: 6/32 oz cartons for $12.69.
- Kirkland Signature Wild Alaskan Canned Salmon: 6/6oz cans $12.99
- Morinaga Organic Silken Firm Tofu: 12/12.3 oz for $13.49.
- Seeds of Change Organic Quinoa & Rice Bowls 6/8.5oz containers for $10.99.
- Della Organic Quick Cook Brown Rice: 12lb for $13.89.
- Minsley Organic Brown Rice Bowls: 6/7.4 oz containers for $5.97.
- Annies Homegrown Organic Mac & Cheese 12/6 oz for $12.59.
- Explore Asia Organic Edmame Spaghetti: 2 lbs for $9.89.
- UDDO’s Kitchen Red Lentil Penne: three 10z bags for $8.79. (This is GF and only contains red lentils).
- Natures Path Organic Pumpkin Flax Granola: One 35.3oz box for $7.89.
- Cascadian Farm Organic Berry Vanilla Puff Cereal: 25oz (1.56lbs) for $6.99.
- Mayflower Coffee Roaster Organic Cafe Cubano Coffee: 1 32 oz bag for $13.99.
- Natures Eats Organic Shelled Walnuts: One 32oz bag for $19.99.
- Kirkland Signature Organic Pine Nuts: One 24oz bag for $21.79.
- Natures Intent Organic Chia Seeds: 32oz bag for $8.79.
- Natures Intent Organic Quinoa: 4lbs for $14.79.
- Made in Nature Organic Super Berry Fusion (dried fruit) 24 oz for $14.99.
- Made in Nature Organic Smyrna Fig Quarters: 40 oz for 12.99.
- Made in Nature Organic Goldenberries (dried) 16oz for $12.99.
- Stoneyfield Organic Super Smoothie: Twelve 6oz bottles for $8.69. I save these for when we are on the go, not an everyday item.
- Kirkland Signature Organic Brown Eggs: 24 eggs for $6.99. Locally produced, cage free organic hens, 100% organic food.
- Organic Whole Milk: Three 64oz jugs for $11.99.
Fruits & Veggies:
- Organic Baby Spinach: One 1lb bag for $3.99.
- Organic Power Greens: One 1.5lb bag for $5.49.
- Organic Spring Mix: One 1lb bag for $4.99.
- Organic Mini Peeled Carrots: One 5lb bag for $5.99.
- Driscolls Organic Strawberries: One 2lb containers for $5.99.
- Suja Organic Mighty Greens liquid blend: One 59oz bottle for $8.99. This may be an acquired taste item… 😉
- Love Beets Organic Cooked Beets: One 35.2oz (ready to eat) package for $7.99.
- Fresh Organic Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs: $4.49lb.
- Fresh Organic Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts: $5.99lb.
- Fresh Whole Organic fryer chicken: $1.99/lb These are by far the best value and you can make a bone broth out of the carcass!
- Fresh Wild Copper River Sockeye Salmon Filet: $14.99/lb. Wild caught! Non-gmo and no food coloring to get the gorgeous red color!
- Organic Ground Beef: Four 1lb packages for $21.99.
- Fresh Wild Pacific Halibut Fillet: $18.99/lb.
- Fresh Wild Atlantic Cod Fillet: $7.99/lb.
- Fresh Wild Haddock Fillet:$8.99/lb.
- Wild Cooked Red King Crab Legs & Claws: $17.99/lb.
- Wild Cold Water Lobster Tail: $21.99/lb.
- Wild U-15 Scallop (USDC Grade A): $17.99/lb.
- Olli Organic Sopressata Pepper & Garlic Salame: One 11oz package for $10.99.
- Wholly Guacamole: Three 16oz containers of dip for $12.99.
- Hannah Organic Hummus (singles): Sixteen 2.4oz single serve packages for $6.89.
- Mary’s Gone Crackers original crackers: Two 10oz bags for $$8.59. (organic, non-gmo and gluten free)
- Sunbelt Organic Fresh Salsa: One 1.88lb container for $7.79.
- Kirkland Signature Organic Salsa: 2/38 oz containers for $7.89
- Kirkland Organic Tortilla Chips: One 2.5lb big bag for $4.99.
- Mary’s Gone Crackers original crackers: Two 10oz bags for $$8.59. (organic, non-gmo and gluten free)
- Way Better Crackers- Sprouted Barley: 2/10 oz packages for $8.39.
- Harvest Stone Organic Brown Rice & ChickPea Crackers 2/10 oz packages $8.69.
- Simply Wild Organic Trail Mix: 1.5 lb container for $13.69.
- Back to Nature Organic Animal Crackers: 24 ct, 1.5 lb package for $8.49
- Back to Nature Organic Creme Cookies (like Oreos!) 27 oz (1.68lbs) for $6.99.
- Dave’s Killer Organic Bread: Two 27oz loaves for $6.99.
- Organic Multi-Grain Omega 3 Bread: Two loaves for a total of 48oz for $6.79.
- Ezekiel (sprouted) Bread: Two 24oz frozen loaves for $6.99.
- Organic Frozen Mango: One 48oz bag $9.89
- Organic Frozen Peas: 5lbs for $6.69
- Organic Frozen Sweet Corn: 5lbs for $6.29.
- Organic Mixed Vegetables: 5 lbsf for $6.89.
- Organic Frozen Sweet Cherries: 3lbs for $10.99
- Organic Frozen Blueberries: 3lbs for $10.69.
- Organic Antioxidant Blend frozen fruit: 3lbs for $10.40.
- Organic Townsend Triple Berry Blend frozen fruit: 3lbs for $9.99.
- Nature Raised Grilled Gluten Free Chicken Breast Strips: 2.5 lb for $12.79
- Green Organic Laundry Detergent: 200 loads for $13.99
Not Organic, but worth mentioning….
If you are not shopping 100% organic, you will appreciate the prices of many other items in the store. Be sure to be informed about the “Dirty Dozen” and “Clean Fifteen” so that you will know the produce that contains the most pesticides. This will help you to decided which produce should be purchased organic, and what is safe to buy conventionally grown. Being familiar with these lists will help you to get more value for on your produce purchases. The Environmental Working Group (EWG) is a great source of information and you can find their lists here. Or, I created this visual of both the “clean” and “dirty” lists:
Because I know it can be challenging to mentally keep track of over 27 different fruits and vegetables, I have also created an easy one page printable list with both the “clean” and “dirty” produce. This is an easy reference list to print and keep in your purse until you have them memorized. Get your printable copy here!
These are some of my favorite non-organic honorable mentions…
- Libby’s Canned Pumpkin 3/29oz cans for $6.99.
- Large Avocados: Five count bag for $4.99.
- Kiwi Fruit: 4 lb container for $5.99.
- Large Lemons: One 5lb bag for $7.99.
- Large Navel Oranges: Big (10 lb?) box for about $11.99.
- Morey Marinated Wild Alaskan Salmon: Six frozen fillets for $16.99.
- Kirkland Creamy Almond Butter: One 27 oz jar for $10.79.
- Del Destino Fire Roasted Peppers: 1 42 oz jar for $4.99.
- Kirkland Signature Artichoke Hearts in oil: 2/33 oz jars for $9.89.
- Agro Sevilla Manzanilla Olives: 2/21 oz jars for $4.69.
- Kirkland Signature Spanish Queen Olives: 2/21 oz jars for $9.99.
- POM Pomegranate Juice: One 1.875 quart bottle for $8.99 (they had an instant rebate for $2.70 off) so $6.29.
- Oscar Meyer Uncured Turkey Bacon: Four 14oz packages for $9.99. No nitrates/nitrites or hormones. We do pork bacon. 😉
- Kirkland Basil Pesto (refrigerated section): One 22oz jar for $7.99. This stuff is so yummy on pasta or chicken!
- Boom Chicka Pop Sweet & Salty Kettlecorn. HUGE 23oz bag for $5.79.
- UDI’s Gluten Free Whole Grain Bread: One 30oz loaf (much bigger than the grocery store loaves) for $7.59.
- Kerrygold Irish Butter: Three 8oz bricks for $7.69. (from grass fed cows- this is yummy stuff)
- Heinze Vinegar: One 1.32 Gallon container for $3.39. I use this for a lot of my green cleaning in my home.
- Arm & Hammer Baking Soda: One 13.5 lb bag for $6.59. Another great green cleaning item to have on hand.
Do you shop at Costco?
What whole food items do you buy at your local Costco? Please let me know in the comments below.
I was told that my store has well over 100 organic items….
I will continue to update my post when I next visit my local Costco. I go there not just to shop for food, but for paper towels, toilet paper, diapers, clothing for my children and husband, and on occasion even furniture items. Costco has good quality products for a fraction of the price you would pay elsewhere. That’s why I love Costco….
P.S. I do have a sister who works at Costco, but otherwise I have no ties to the store and this blog post and recommendations are made based off of my love for eating healthy and saving $$. I have not been compensated by Costco in any way. 🙂