Don’t you just love the fresh, clean, and bright aromatic scent of lemons? Unless you are blessed to have a lemon tree growing in your back yard, you probably are like me and have to judiciously purchase the biggest lemons at the grocery store and try to use them as cleverly as possible to maximize your enjoyment of their many benefits. Don’t you wish you could bottle their scent and flavor and benefits so that you had it available at all times? Guess what? Someone did…..
I’m excited to introduce you to Lemon Essential Oil!
This bottle of oil captures the powerful benefits of lemons (extracted from the peel) and creates a deliciously fragrant and powerful bottle of lemon essential oil that is so versatile that it can replace fresh lemon in many areas of your health and home. Essential oils are so convenient to use, and that’s just one of the reasons why I love them! If you are new to the idea of essential oils, click here for more basic information about why they are such a powerful natural resource.
Here’s the skinny on this lovely lemon oil:
Latin Name: Citrus Limon
Extraction Method: Cold pressed/expressed (from the peel, not the juice)
Aromatic Description: Clean, fresh, citrus, bright
Main Chemical Components: d-Limonene; alpha and beta pinenes
With a fresh and bright scent, Lemon oil is not only delightful to smell, but it has amazing properties and many uses. Due to its high limonene content, Lemon is a powerful antioxidant that can help ward off free radicals.
The three ways to use lemon oil:
Topical Use: Lemon oil can be used by itself, however I suggest diluting it with a carrier oil to avoid potential skin sensitivity. *Avoid sunlight or UV rays for up to 12 hours after applying any citrus oils!
Internal Use: Taken internally, Lemon provides cleansing and digestive benefits, and it can soothe an irritated throat, and supports healthy respiratory function. When added to water it is a refreshing and healthy boost throughout the day and can aid in detox.
The many benefits of Lemon Essential Oil:
Lemon oil is very versatile and the following is by no means a comprehensive list, but is simply to give you an idea of the many ways I am able to use it in my home. I am not a doctor so please do not take any of the following claims as medical advice and consult with a physician before using for health reasons.
Lemon is the first of the “allergy trio” that consists of Lemon, Lavender, and Peppermint oils. This combination of oils is incredibly effective at management the symptoms of seasonal and environmental discomforts.
- Aromatic use- place 2-4 drops each of Lemon, Lavender, and Peppermint oil in your diffuser like this and run as normal.
- Internal use-1 drop of each oil can be taken under the tongue, or in a capsule like these
- Topical use– drop in equal parts of each oil (for example 20 drops of each oil) in a roller bottle and top off with fractionated coconut oil and roll onto the bottoms of the feet, over the heart, or wrists. Apply as needed.
For Allergy relief that is ready to use ask me about premade essential oil capsules!
Add one drop of lemon for each glass of water you drink daily to help your body detox. I recommend starting out slowly and monitor how your body responds so that you can find the right amount . I personally use essential oils for their therapeutic benefits and only take them orally for a specific purpose and with a desired outcome in mind. I would not use more than 10 drops of oil in my water as a daily maximum.
Add Lemon oil to your water as described above, or take it under the tongue or in capsules to assist with blood pressure. As with any condition, consistent use is key to achieving the desired results.
The aroma of lemon oil is reported as effective to counteract the effects of nausea. Inhale straight from the bottle or dab on the wrist and inhale, or put several drops in a diffuser to spread the aromatic effects in the room.
- Use several drops in the place of lemon extract for baking.
- Add a few drops of lemon oil to a bowl full of water to soak and clean fruits and vegetables.
- Use as a final flavoring in anything from soups to dips instead of a squeeze of lemon.
- Add lemon oil to water or vinegar for a great all purpose spray or a window and glass cleaner.
- Lemon oil makes a great furniture polish; simply add a few drops to olive oil to clean, protect, and shine wood finishes.
- Use a cloth soaked in Lemon oil to preserve and protect your leather furniture and other leather surfaces or garments.
- Lemon oil is a great remedy for the early stages of tarnish on silver and other metals.
- Many homemade laundry soaps contain lemon oil for its fresh scent and degreasing abilities.
- Due to possible skin sensitivity dilute appropriately for age and individual.
- Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas.
- Avoid sunlight or UV rays for up to 12 hours after applying any citrus essential oil!
Where can I buy Lemon oil?
Email email@example.com to learn what brand I use. I will give you the link to purchase oils from my online shop or if you are interested in buying more than just one bottle of oil AND saving $$, I would highly recommend a wholesale membership (it only costs $35 for the whole year!) for a 25% discount on prices and the ability to earn points back on your purchases. It is the way I buy and it saves me a ton of money! Learn about becoming a wholesale member of my team here.
Have questions? Shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’d love to chat with you!
P.S. If you haven’t subscribed already, be sure to sign up for my Essential Oils Education email series below and don’t miss out on an informative oils blog post or recipes sent directly to your email inbox!