Do you know how to create and manage a blog? Um…. dare I say, me neither! I’ve been up to my blonde eyebrows with confusing technical programs and THINGS like wordpress, genesis theme, child theme (that should mean it’s easy enough a baby can do it, right?) categories, posts, navigation menus, HTML (CODE!), lead pages, thank you pages, subscriber lists, opt-ins (to get subscribers on my list, they don’t just happen apparently?), widgets, plug ins, meta and beta and something or another whatchamacallits but apparently I won’t show up in google if you don’t get it figured out. Oh, and let’s not forget tags, and permalinks and URLs……HELP!!!!
This truly is a case of not realizing how much I didn’t know, until I tried to do something and then realized that I was in WAY OVER MY BLONDE HEAD!!!!!
I am determined that this blog WILL SURVIVE and that I WILL IMPROVE and that I WILL GET THINGS FIGURED OUT….. eventually……
But yeah, this video just might be what IT staff would be saying to me…. quick funny video
Now what have I learned from this? Well, I am still learning, so this is by no means a comprehensive list…
1. Do your research (aka-Google EVERYTHING!!!!) Seriously, I have no idea what I don’t even know, but if I can find some kind of key words to punch into google, there are so many experts sharing their information for FREE!!! It’s so totally awesome!
2. Implement what I learn (from google of course). The implementation is a bit challenging, but I’m working on it (like re-titling my whole media library and re-examining my blog posts and keywords etc to make sure that all of my posts are in the best shape for picky google algorythms (I don’t know how to spell that word properly, I’m sorry!). I have so many ideas of what I want to do, but first I need to implement what I need to do before I can move on to new and more exciting project…. :::sigh:::: sometimes it just sucks to be a grown up! 😉
3. Know when to ask for help Me and technical things like working with wordpress and various blogging scenarios is like when I get lost driving and then everything looks familiar but I don’t know if it is because I am going the right way or repeating my incorrect path with it’s wrong turns and bumps in the road? Yeah, have you experienced that scenario? Me too, and blogging has been just like that! After some dangerous driving, missed turns, road construction, and of course a malfunctioning GPS, I finally made the decision to hire some professional help. No, not that kind of help! Sheesh! I meant a graphic artist who knows how to create a logo, put together graphics and custom web design. Things that I knew what I wanted but had absolutely no way of being able to pull it off myself. Lea at www.leachristinedesigns.com was AMAZINGLY helpful and put up with my finicky wishes and was always gracious and very creative and helpful. Because I have a husband, kids, and I needed to take time to cook real food and take care of my family, that meant not continuing to struggle with things beyond my abilities and bringing in help when needed. And boy did I need it! Now I’m trying to figure out what other areas of my life I can hire out… laundry perhaps….? My husband also has been a huge help (with business stuff, not the laundry unfortunately) and we enjoy conversing about ideas for improvements,automation, and integration. It’s pretty exciting stuff I tell you!
4. Prioritizing my goals Now that I have been bitten by the natural living blogging bug, I seriously want to blog and post about EVERYTHING! Not to mention that I now have a ton of ideas for site improvements and members only features and youtube videos and podcasts and marketing and tons of creative and fun ways to learn and share information…. but then there are things like figuring out why my integration tools aren’t properly integrating and wondering how many subscribers I lost in the midst of the confusion…. if I lost you, resubscribe please (and maybe choose a different opt-in form this time lol!) Or you can always email me email@example.com and I can always manually enter you into my email list. I mean, it is pretty old school, but it does work in a pinch! 😉
5. Time management This one is challenging. Sometimes a lot of time can be put into an endeavor just to get it up and running, and that is okay. But, if it is continually eating up a lot of time on a regular basis, it can become problematic. I’m convinced that since this blog is about what I am and should be doing every day (real food, natural health & remedies, and essential oils) it is a great fit for me and that it will be a fun outlet for my passion and I hope it will be a great resource and encouragement to you!
6. Integration and Automation Build something smart from the start, and it will pay off in the end. I know this is true of building a house, a business, or a blog. My investment in creating a smarter blog and taking advantage of the great tools available has me hoping (and praying!) that it will lead to a much easier management so that I can focus on what I love- cooking amazing food and enjoying time with my family!
7. Love what you do, and do what you love! It took me a while to realize my passions and strengths, but once I did, I definitely am more content and feeling more fulfilled because I am using all of my gifts and not keeping some hidden away for a later time. Finding that passion and then prioritizing my time is key, and it’s a journey and I’m still in the beginning stages and learning as I go. If you want to join me for the ride, I’d love to have you so be sure to like me on facebook, follow me on instagram, and become a subscriber on my site! But returning to my driving scenario, just watch out for potholes, mixed signals, and those “California rolls” through the stop signs, gosh, I just can’t break myself of that last one! 😉
Are you a blogger? Thinking about becoming a blogger? If you are, don’t give up! Which of the above is the most important or challenging to you? I’m all about learning from friends, so please comment with any tips or input, or just to commiserate if you have been here too and have something helpful or funny to share!